Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Suzanis, Suzanis, SUZANIS!


Do you know what Suzanis are?  They are large embroidered textiles originally from Central Asia.

Traditionally made by Central Asian brides as part of their dowry and were presented to the groom on the wedding day. They represent an artistic realization of prayers for blessing and happiness of the future young family.



My fav's are the antique Suzanis (hand embroidered)....A great source for these is over at ebay.

Now they seem to be popping up all over the place....Calico Corners has a Suzani inspired fabric....


I am crazy for these chairs...all 3 of them.  I have a favorite, the orange one, but seriously I want 1 of each..




How do you feel about Suzanis?  Do you feel the need to inject some color/life into your own color palette?

9 comments:

Unknown said...

They are beautiful! I kind of lean toward the yellow chair, though.

I just stopped by from SITS to say hello. I hope you will do the same.

Gracie said...

Updating these beautful designs with modern color is really fun. I love the antiques and also the yellow chair.

LBDDiaries said...

I love them! Beautifully made and just popping with color. I love how different they are and the story behind them! Now I'll have to go ebaying again! Visiting from SITS -

Tori Nelson said...

Holy Moses, the orange/turquoise chair needs to get in my house immediately!

Deidre said...

Love that wall hanging and love the orange chair oh so so so much!

Thank you for stopping by my blog for my SITS day, I loved your comments and they help to make my day :) (My Australian accent is dismal!).

Rach said...

I didn't know what they were called, but I do love them! They are so pretty!

Allie said...

Really not my thing, a little too "60's/hippy" for me, but with that said...Thank you for sharing!

Custom Shelf said...

I agree with you, those chair designs are awesome, but my favorite has to be the blue chair. Awesome photos thankyou!

End Tables said...

I so love the blue chair among the three. The outdoor dining set is a must-have. Awesome post. I never thought that Suzanis are that wonderful. Keep posting!